The Rio Metro Regional Transit District encourages the use of alternative modes of transportation for daily commutes.
Walking to Your Destination
Good for your wallet, good for your health, good for communities. Walking to your destination is an health-consious and environmentally-friendly way to commute. Commuters can walk once or twice during the week.
Savings and Benefits
- Helps reduce air pollution and traffic congestion
- Burns calories
- Strengthens back muscles
- Slims your waist
- Easy on your joints
- Strengthens your bones
- Lowers blood pressure
- Allows time with family and friends
- Shapes and tones your legs
- Cuts cholesterol
- Reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes, & more
- Reduces stress
- Sleep better
- Improves mood and outlook on life
- Can be done almost anywhere Requires no equipment
- AND it's Free!!
In addition, if you are walking, you may:
Find new routes and convenient shortcuts (see below!)
Accomplish errands without having to repark, or drive at all
- Support neighborhood-serving businesses
- Get a better feel for your surroundings
From areas in Santa Fe to Los Lunas, there are several local trails to help you navigate communities.