The New Mexico Rail Runner Express operates on a zone-based fare structure.
The amount passengers pay for a ticket is determined by the distance traveled. There are six zones along the 100-mile corridor between Santa Fe and the City of Belen. See the chart below for details.
Full fare rates below reflect price after 75% discount.
Reduced fare rates below reflect price after 75% discount.
How to Calculate Your Fares
Count the number of zones through which you will travel.
- Traveling from Los Lunas to U.S. 550 / Sandoval County is three zones
- Traveling from Los Ranchos / Journal Center to Downtown Albuquerque is one zone
Accepted Forms of Payment
- Debit Cards
- All Major Credit Cards (except American Express)
New Mexico Rail Runner Express Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Tickets are not refundable if lost, damaged, stolen or destroyed. Tickets are also not refundable if the passenger purchased a ticket and didn’t use it, purchased the wrong date or wrong station or if a ticket is purchased at a discounted rate without qualification. Tickets purchased using the mobile app will not be refunded if accidentally activated.
Reduced fares are available to:
- Senior citizens age 60 and over
- Students with a valid student I.D. or proof of enrollment
- Youth ages 10 to 17
- Medicare card holders
- People with disabilities that show
- A NM Motor Vehicle Department notification
- Letter from the doctor indicating the disability (with expiration date)
- An ABQ RIDE Honored Citizen Card
- A Santa Fe Ride Card or Santa Fe Trails Half Fare Card
The following ride free:
- Children 9 and under
- Seniors 60+ free on Wednesdays
- Active Duty Military and Veterans that show
- VHIC or VA medical card
- Veteran’s ID (VIC card)
- Driver’s License with a veteran’s designation
- Department of Defense Active Duty & Dependent Military IDs
- NMRX Freedom Pass
- Show your valid one-way, day, monthly, or annual printed or mobile Rail Runner pass to ride Rio Metro general public Dial-a-Ride buses and fixed/commuter route buses (not valid on Rio Rancho Dial-a-Ride buses)